Pluscarden 1230 Pilgrimage – Conditions of Entry
The Pluscarden 1230 Pilgrimage is a ground-breaking event re-tracing the historical roots of the Abbey. It is above all a Pilgrimage and will be run along traditional lines. Monks from the Abbey will be accompanying the pilgrimage throughout although this may be on a rotational basis due to their commitments at home. The event is, however, the primary PR focus of the fundraising for the South Range Project and as such needs to raise the necessary targeted funds. To that end it is important to allow time to carry out all the necessary detailed planning to ensure the event is a major success and to ensure the safety of all those involved. It will also allow time for all pilgrims to raise the minimum requirement of £1230.00 per leg. Details of each leg, including overnight stops and catering arrangements, will be forwarded to those selected for that leg once the detailed recces are completed. The general outline of each leg (start and finish towns) will not change in any major way. Regular updates will also be provided until the full participants administrative packs are sent out. It hoped that a documentary will be made during the Pilgrimage and that a book about the event will be published afterwards to establish the “Via Valliscaulium” as a new and exciting route for future pilgrims.
All participants must:
- Get themselves to their leg start point and arrange for collection at their leg finish point.
- Must have personal medical and travel insurance.
- Raise a minimum of £1230.00 per leg (irrespective of age) by 31st March 2017 and submit the money by Friday 14th April 2017. (See “Support us“). Any additional monies raised will be gratefully received. Participants may walk as many legs as they wish, but must raise £1230.00 for each leg they will join.
- Must be fit enough to walk 100 miles in 6 days in all weathers unless participating as a group. Should a group (Maximum 4) wish to share a leg i.e.: one walking and the other three rotating by independent means of transport, each group member must still raise £1230.00 per leg. If applying on behalf of a group, the signatory to the application is responsible for ensuring that each member of his/her group raises a minimum of £1230.00 per leg.
- Be accompanied by an adult if under 18 years of age on 5th June 2017.
- Must join the pilgrimage for the complete week. Regretfully single or multiple days will not be catered for due to the scale and ground-breaking nature of this event.
Families: Families are welcome to participate but as the maximum for safety and accommodation purposes on each leg is 20 participants, (40 for the final leg), and the aim of the pilgrimage is to raise funds, each participant, irrespective of age, must raise the required sum on each leg.
Application confirmation: Confirmation will be sent out on receipt of application. We recommend early application to ensure your choice of leg. If your preferred leg is fully subscribed you will be offered an alternative.